Monday, October 25, 2010

Week 7 - PLEs and the Freedom to Create Meaning

The essential question this week is:  In an increasingly net enabled world, should our web tools be tightly connected or loosely aligned, and how do these decisions impact the classroom?
The Educause article, “7 Things You Should Know About Personal Learning Environments provides some insight.    The author defines the term Personal Learning Environment as an ever-evolving student created/self-directed learning network of people and resources.  In explaining its significance, the article is careful to mention responsibility for this self-created environment “rests with the learner.”
With that said the article points to the possible disadvantages of PLEs.  Chief among them are the metacognitive prerequisites needed in order to make self-directed learning truly meaningful.  The article says, “some students…may have never taken the time to think about their own metacognition or to reflect on how they learn best.  These less experienced students may not be ready for the responsibility that comes with building and managing a PLE.” 
Teaching methods that chart out pre-determined paths to discovery, particularly in the on-line world of infinite applications and possibilities, seem quite limiting.  In short, I would allow the students the freedom to be creative (within reason, of course). 
More educators should consider announcing the end goal then giving students the leeway to interpret that task by using whatever tools they deem necessary.  The self-directed approach, it seems to me, adds relevance to the learning process.  Is there nothing more satisfying (and longer lasting) then when we create our own meaning?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Janice,
    One of the best lessons I had in my classroom involved giving students some basic materials and asking them to build certain weather data- collecting instruments that they had learned about. I gave them no guidelines other than that the equipment had to function. It was one of the best teaching days I've ever had. Every kid in that room was totally engaged, and there were some challenging kids in there. My point is that allowing students some freedom in the process is absolutely rewarding for teachers and students. I don't know at what age they are ready to tackle their own learning styles, but they can certainly start learning how it feels to be mindful of the process with nothing but the goal in mind. And of course, the satisfaction that comes with discovering something is worth it for any learner, no matter the age.
    You're right in bringing up the disadvantages also which I agree are strong arguments against jumping in to PLEs without some sort of self-awareness and a desire to learn. I was wondering in my own blog when exactly students have the ability to start this process?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janice,
    I have also read couple of other blog & article about PLEs and I agree with your point of view when you say that "The self-directed approach, it seems to me, adds relevance to the learning process. Is there nothing more satisfying (and longer lasting) then when we create our own meaning?". That is so true because I have experienced it with my students when I did my student teaching as well as with my children all the time; whenever possible when I gave students the freedom to choose their favorite learning tools, I have been pleasantly surprised. I think that there is something about creating your own meaning and actively participating in your own knowledge construction.Having said that with this freedom also comes responsability in that sense that the selected PLE should clearly be relevant to the educational goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie and Duboulay, thank you both for your comments.

    It honestly never occurred to me until I read your posts that the teacher could experience an equal amount of satisfaction is seeing students "get it!"

    I'm not certain when in a child's development one should allow for the PLE approach. I can't say with any authority. However, in my untrained opinion, I support the "sooner the better!" method.

    As you both have pointed out, students have a way of surprising educators with their creativity and ingenuity when given the most basic tools.

    ReplyDelete